Friday, January 22, 2010

A Witness to Life


Luke 1:41-44 (ESV)
And when Elizabeth heard the greeting of Mary, the baby leaped in her womb. And Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit, [42] and she ex claimed with a loud cry, "Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb! [43] And why is this granted to me that the mother of my Lord should come to me? [44] For behold, when the sound of your greeting came to my ears, the baby in my womb leaped for joy.


I have often wondered why there is such division among Christians over the issue of the sanctity of life – the need to protect the unborn. The Bible is unmistakably clear on the matter. But, I also know that people get swayed by the language of those who have made this issue a political one that gets batted around. I have stood in the picket lines at abortion clinics and I have also scrubbed the floors of a home for unwed mothers. As a pastor, I know that many women and parents who have secretly gone for an abortion feel tremendous guilt and unresolved anger. Abortion is more than a political issue; it is a tragic failure of a society to affirm that life is a glorious gift from God, even in the most difficult of times.

One of the things I have learned that the Church can do to witness to life, is to “speak the truth in love” and show the value of life in our homes through the vows we make in baptism. Not only are children precious, but special promises are given to the children of believers by our God (Acts 2:39). We make promises to raise them in the nurture and admonition of the Lord. Bringing our children to Christ, who said “let the children come unto me and forbid them not,” is perhaps the best pro life message we can send.

Here’s one reminder from a pro life message that gets to the core.


She can hear the music of Mozart and the voice of her mother.
She can feel, touch and even suck her thumb.
She can not speak.

Only you can speak for the unborn!

No comments: