Monday, March 7, 2011

The Grace of Being Chosen



Romans 9:11-16 (ESV)
though they were not yet born and had done nothing either good or bad—in order that God's purpose of election might continue, not because of works but because of his call— [12] she was told, "The older will serve the younger." [13] As it is written, "Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated."
[14] What shall we say then? Is there injustice on God's part? By no means! [15] For he says to Moses, "I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion." [16] So then it depends not on human will or exertion, but on God, who has mercy.

That’s not fair, you say? How can God pick one and pass by another on no other basis than that which God wants? Perhaps no other doctrine in the Bible gets as much bad publicity and outright scoffing as the teaching of divine election, sometimes called “unconditional election.” Yes, we must admit it goes against what we often think of fairness and impartiality. But, if we look further into this moral dilemma something comes into greater focus. When we think about fairness, we must assume that there is such a thing as justice. Unfairness presumes that justice exists or else it would not make sense. Now what do we mean by justice? Who decides what is just? Do you see where I am going? God is the supreme Judge and He decides what is Just and fair, but this is not arbitrary. God is infinite and holy in His justice. Do we want justice? If you assume with the Bible that all have sinned and deserve hell, it is not justice we ought to cry for. We need mercy in infinite measure. How can we know that we get mercy? What is the measuring rod for my knowing I get enough mercy and grace to be redeemed? I hope it is not my works and my attempts to be holy enough.

Peace can flood my soul when I look to the fact that my salvation is based on God’s choice and free grace and not my abilities. Don’t scoff at a teaching that may challenge our views and thoughts, but bow before the sheer majesty of this God who shows mercy to creatures like us who deserve a severe justice apart from Christ. The Cross stands as a reminder that God’s justice was done and we can receive a severe mercy. It is the electing love of God that assures me of that mercy and not my feeble grasp of it.

Calvin comments on this passage:
“Now, by adding, not through works, but through him who calls, he means, not on account of works, but of the calling only; for he wishes to exclude works altogether. We have then the whole stability of our election inclosed in the purpose of God alone: here merits avail nothing, as they issue in nothing but death; no worthiness is regarded, for there is none; but the goodness of God reigns alone. False then is the dogma, and contrary to God’s word, - that God elects or rejects, as he foresees each to be worthy or unworthy of his favor.” (pg. 351 – Commentary on Romans).

No comments: