Thursday, April 22, 2010

Books that Shaped Me

The words of the wise are like goads, their collected sayings like firmly embedded nails--given by one Shepherd. 12 Be warned, my son, of anything in addition to them. Of making many books there is no end, and much study wearies the body. Ecclesiastes 12:11

I decided to share such a list, not to say these are the best books, nor are they all the ones that continually resurface as books to reread, although one would be greatly rewarded to do so. Moreover, these particular books are ones that shaped me in my early years of theological development. After years of reading widely across the theological spectrum and the traditions of other denominations, I find a sense of gratitude for having had such a good start. These have been good bronze pegs driven in the ground to stabilize a windblown tent (Ex.27:19). Of course, this is a just a few.

Knowing God, J.I. Packer
I first read this while at Liberty in my college years. I still have my worn copy of this classic in Reformed theology, which I was able to use again as I sat under the teaching of Packer in my doctoral work 20 years later. That was a dream come true. The wisdom and theological insight of this book is needed more than ever in today’s anemic evangelicalism.
The Cost of Discipleship, Bonhoeffer
I was 17 years old when I picked up a copy of this book at a Baptist bookstore in Dallas. It introduced me to what it meant to be a follower of Christ and not just a believer who had “fire insurance.” This Lutheran drove a wedge into my small provincial world.
Foundations of the Christian Faith, by James Montgomery Boice
My first year at Liberty (distinctly Baptist) a professor of theology assigned two volumes of this series by the Presbyterian preacher who served many years at Tenth Presbyterian Church in Philadelphia. After reading this, I knew was a Calvinist. Thanks Dr. Beck.
C.S. Lewis – Screwtape Letters, Mere Christianity, The Great Divorce, The Chronicles of Narnia, The Problem of Pain
I have been greatly challenged and blessed by the many works of C.S. Lewis. He stands out from among the crowd as the greatest influence on me. He helped me and continues to help me see and think like a Christian about all kinds of issues.
Balanced Christianity, John Stott
Another evangelical Brit that has been among my favorites is John Stott, perhaps the greatest guardian of evangelical preaching in the 20th Century. His book on being a balanced Christian made me want to avoid the pitfalls of going to extremes in theological controversies, as well as practical matters.
Basic Christianity, John Stott
A concise and brief explanation of what it means to be a Christian. Very helpful to new believers.
The Life and Diary of David Brainerd, Jonathan Edwards
Brainerd was to be Jonathan Edwards’s son-in-law, but died of tuberculosis contracted while preaching to Indians in New England. He spent hours in prayer and gave himself body and soul, for the conversion of Native Americans. This book transformed William Carey and countless others in considering the missionary calling.

A Severe Mercy, Sheldon Vanauken
Vanauken was an atheist and English professor helped by C.S. Lewis, who then became a convinced Christian. Like Lewis, he lost his wife to cancer and wrote this book that tells the story of their young love while as pagans, then coming to Christ and the grief suffered in death, which Vanauken would discover was a “severe mercy”. I had the privilege of hearing him speak on a couple of occasions before his death.

Ephesians, Martyn Lloyd Jones
This Welch preacher and pastor of the Westminster Chapel in London until the early 1980’s had more of an influence on me and my preaching than I first realized as a young minister.

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

What a good list. :) I miss going to bookstores with you.... (Just Good Books?) :)