Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Lancelot Andrews (1555-1626)


Lancelot Andrews was one of the godly pillars of the English Church during its Reformation. He was made dean of Westminster in 1601 just two years before Queen Elizabeth, the Protestant monarch died. He served as her private chaplain and later served under King James I in various capacities and as Bishop of Chischester. In terms of piety and literary gifts, he is likened to John Donne and Hooker. Due to his ability with the ancient languages, he was one of the translators of the Authorized Bible. While he was a Reformer, he nonetheless stood along the side of the authority of the English throne over ecclesiastical matters. That should not prevent those whose sympathies lie with the rebellious Presbyterians to ignore him (he was known for praying every night, “O Lord, keep me from making a god of the King”!). He was Presbyterian and Calvinist in doctrine and while he was criticized for hard to understand sermons, no man could pray like Andrews. The secret of his prayer life is found in his “Private Devotions” which he compiled for personal use and never intended for publication. Twenty-five years ago a dear friend gave me a copy and I am glad that a new edition is being published now from Christian Focus publications in Scotland. Here is an example of one of his meditations. Use it as a way to prime the pump in your own prayer life:

The Hedge of the Law

To bruise the serpent’s head.
To consider my latter end.
To cut off occasions of sin.
To be sober.
Not to sit idle.
To shun the wicked.
To cleave to the good.
To make a covenant with the eyes.
To bring the body into subjection.
To give myself unto prayer.
To come to repentance.
Hedge up my way with thorns,
That I find not the path for following vanity.
Hold Thou me in with bit and bridle,
Lest I come not near to Thee.
O Lord, compel me to come in to Thee.

No comments: